Monday, April 6, 2009

The importance of PR campaign... "Grappo Fizz"

Just a week back, I wrote about Parle Agro’s new refreshing brand, LMN. But soon I found that, Parle Agro have also introduced a new brand named, “Grappo Fizz”. It seems they are going aggressive this summer. After the success story of Appy Fizz, the product is been extended to Grappo Fizz. As the name suggests, Grappo Fizz is a carbonated Grape- flavored beverage. Grappo Fizz comes in two SKUs — 300 ml (priced at Rs 20) and 500 ml (at Rs 27). I am yet to see its TVC and more importantly, yet to taste it.

Nadia Chauhan, Joint Managing Director and CMO, Parle Agro, says, “Grappo Fizz is targeted at the youth who is constantly looking for ‘new options’. Parle Agro plans to tap into this segment through various activities including a television commercial, which will be on air this weekend. The TVC will weave an “entire brand persona around” Grappo Fizz who is introduced as a “Youthful rapper” and the cousin of the Appy Fizz character."

But I am disappointed by few things. When I tried searching about Grappo Fizz on internet, I found only one article listed in Business Line and Money Control. I also tried to get the image of Grappo Fizz, but even that was unavailable. Thus, it means, a pro-active PR campaign is missing out. The only reason could be, Grappo Fizz may still be in experimental stage. I believe, Parle should aggressively market their new products to catch consumer’s attention. But the saddest thing was, one cannot find any information about these new products of Parle Agro even on their official website. Neither have they mentioned LMN as their new product nor Grappo Fizz. I guess Parle Agro have really forgotten to update its website.

Parle expects youth to buy Grappo Fizz, who is constantly looking for 'new options'. But they have forgotten that these new-product exploring customers will like to grab more information through either retail stores, or newspapers or internet. But due to lack of poor PR campaign, no information could be found in newspapers or internet. Neither Grappo Fizz is extensively distributed into markets, just after its launch. Parle doesn’t even care to inform their inquisitive customers through its website.

Parle Agro needs to be proactive in marketing and should be a step ahead. Moreover, they should realize the importance of PR campaigns to create successful brands in future.

12 comments:

stalin said...

Dear author,I really like the interpretation of weakness of Parle Agro. Obviously the company should go for aggressive promotional campaign. But i think they have some different strategy.Congratulation
!!!

Vibhor said...

Thanks for the comment.
Yes, I also believe that the strategy could be different, but PR campaign is always beneficial.
Morover, I couldn't understand the logic of not updating their website too.

Keep Reading.

Anonymous said...

grappo fizz !!! that sounds awesome !!

I think they will have fun with this.

the last ads were fun. what are they planning?

Foodie Adie said...

I agree with you Vibhor. When i googled about Grappo Fizz what i found is only your blog. Nothing is mentioned about it and LMN on the Parle Agro site. I was shocked by this outcome. Their advertisements on TV are attractive.

Vibhor said...

Thanks Adie for your comments.Keep reading.

Anonymous said...

Perhaps some of you guys havent googled enuff, i found many oder news posts on online versions of newspapers and the ad is awesome.

Asif said...

Dude, you write like an expert in your blog and say that a PR campaign is missing but you have lifted info straight from the company's PR press note including quotes!!!!!
If a campaign was not in place - u wud not have had even the basic info to write what u've written.

Vibhor said...

Thanks all, for your comments. Here are few things to clarify.
First of all, I posted this blog-post on 6th April. Till this date there was nothing written about Grappo Fizz on the web, except 'Money Control' and 'Business Line', as mentioned.
Yes, now, things have grown up on the net, but only after a week of launch date. As per my post, I have clearly said that Parle should have been proactive i.e. much before the launch things should have started.

Secondly, I took the data from the press release of Parle Agro (mentioned in inverted commas and italics). But PR campaign is not just about giving an interview to few newspapers and finish. Those who have studied marketing in detail would understand the intricacies of a good and strong PR campaign.

Shipra said...

I stumbled upon your post and found the comments and the write-up very interesting. I have been working in the field of PR for over 7 years now and i was quite amused when i read this.
Vibhor, will you please elaborate for me - what according to you are the intricacies of a good and strong PR campaign??

Shipra said...

Seems you don't have an answer...

Benny Thomas said...

I chanced upon your blog and found it very interesting. The event blogs are striking enough to have a feel of the event, so, I would like to have a little chit-chat on your blogging interests. And even we are coming up with an event on startups on June 6th. So, can I have your contact details? Looking forward to hear from you.

Vibhor Mathur said...

Hi Shipra,
Thanks for your comments.

Firstly, Silence doesn't means that one is answerless.

Secondly,When I wrote this post,I couldn't find any thing on Grappo Fizz on the net, even after a week of its launch.
I was just troubled with the thought, that why not Grappo Fizz have done a proactive campaign to create a sense of inquistivenes in the minds of consumers.
As per my blog goes, I try to write about proactivism among people and companies. I felt Parle lacked proactivism in terms of a PR campaign.

Moreover, as far as intricacies of PR goes, there are many books available in libraries to know.

I am not a marketing guru, but I guess I have the right to express my thoughts through my blog.