Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Lemony... "LMN" !!!

Yesterday afternoon, after lunch, I went to my nearby retail shop to buy a soft drink. Generally, I tend to buy Thums Up or Coke. But there I saw a new beverage brand, named “LMN”. I liked the packaging, which attracted me towards that brand. Moreover, I was really impressed by name “LMN” as it sounds cool, young, yet meaningful. In today’s times of fast food and speed dating, the name “LMN” seems to be derived from the SMS version of the word lemon. I bought it. Price was reasonable and competitive, as 200ml. tetra pack was of Rs.10. I really liked its taste as it was a nice surprise to me. Unlike other carbonated drinks, “LMN” was a non-carbonated lemon drink on lines of traditional Indian ‘Nimbu-Pani’.

Being an inquisitive marketer, I tried to look up more about the brand. Interestingly, “LMN” is a brand from the house of Parle Agro. My favorite beverage brand, Parle Agro, has always given tough competitions to MNC giants Pepsi and Coke. As an industry pioneer, Parle Agro was the first to introduce fruit drinks in a Tetra Pak in India, the first to introduce apple nectar and the first to introduce fruit drinks in PET bottles. Its brands like Frooti and Appy are successful and have created their own niche.

“LMN” will interestingly get a direct competition from Pepsi’s “Nimbooz”. But, I believe, “LMN” has got better packaging and brand name than “Nimbooz”. The striking green and yellow color makes the pack noticeable and increases its shelf appeal. In the PET offering, the unique bottle design of “LMN” makes it stand apart from the rest. LMN differentiates its appearance from common carbonated lemon drinks like Limca and Mirinda. As per Nimbooz, it looks like another version of Limca, and thus it seems repetitive. LMN feels new and fresh. “LMN” also takes a refreshingly fresh take on lemon, with a catchy tagline – “The Emergency Lemon Refresher”.
Interestingly, "LMN" was everywhere into the market much before its TV commercial, whereas TV ads of "Nimbooz" is on every TV channel, but diificult to find in stores.

I am yet to taste” Nimbooz”, but personally, even if “Nimbooz” tastes better, I would still buy “LMN”. Reason, it being Indian (you know how nationalist I am).

Watch TV ad here: LMN

6 comments:

M.J. said...

thats really intresting..if LMN(even i like the mame:))becomes a hit,it wud be another feather in parle's cap after appy and frooti.It is indeed intresting that after many ads nimbooz is hard to find and without any promotion LMN has arrived.This is fine example of Guerilla marketing..

Tiger said...

Good one.. lmn sounds and looks cool.

Bal Mukund Pathak said...

of course the color combination is good but at the same time i would like to say that Parle already came with this packaging with frooti. so nothing new in packaging

Vibhor said...

Thanks for your comments Mr. Bal Mukund Pathak. I really appreciate your views. Yes, even Frooti has the similar form of packaging. But LMN being new, needs refreshing packaging, similar to its tastes and name. Moreover, it has better packaging than Nimbooz, as per me.

Thanks Again.

Keep Reading.

Anonymous said...

Nimbooz is from Coca Colas 7up and not from the house of Pepsi!!

Request you to make the corrections...

Vibhor said...

Thanks for the comment, but please check on the internet, and you will find that Nimbooz belongs to Pepsi's 7up brand. Coke has Sprite brand in its competition.
Please read the following link :

http://www.prdomain.com/companies/P/Pepsi/newsreleases/200922768709.htm